Since I've been working on finding purpose in my life, I finally decided that I should start checking items off my bucket list.
This list includes many things, one being completing a half marathon.
Just as I was getting everything ready to register online, I realized that they posted NEW charities to fundraise for.
So now I am back at square one. ):
I'm 98% sure that I will be running the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half-Marathon on Sunday, October 16th...
But I'm giving myself one week MORE week to figure out/pray about which charity needs it the most.
Here are my top choices in ALPHABETICAL order and the reasons why I would want to support them.
Canadian Cancer Society - I really believe in the research and initiatives that the cancer society does. Now more than ever, people are being effected by their loved ones, young and old, passing away or suffering with cancer, and because of this hurt, I truly do hope that we find a cure of this horrible disease within our lifetime.
Matthew House - I remember back in Gideon (our jr. high fellowship), when we went to visit the house. Through means of helping them cook and clean, we were able to help these young refugee families out by taking a load off there shoulder. Retrospectively, I'm sure we didn't do that much physically, but I sure hope that we were able to shed a little bit of God's love on their lives while we were there! I know moving in and out of a country is a tough and costly part of life. So maybe the little I can fundraise could help ease their transition!
Sarcoma Cancer Foundation of Canada - A buddy for mine from elementary school, who lived just on the next street from me, passed away in November 2007 from Ewing's Sarcoma. The particular strand of this devastating disease is caused by an abnormality of the DNA that is found rarely in other types of cancer, which inspired his mother to start The Ewing's Cancer Foundation of Canada. Although I have lost touch with his family, this may be a nice way to pay homage to his life (except I'm not sure how the ECFC & SCFC are connected - though I'm sure either way, money would be going towards the good).
Urban Promise - Ever since I first heard of Urban Promise, I have experienced nothing short of amazing in the way this organization changes the life of children who grow up in low-income families. In the short times that I spend in the communities, I have seen the potential that this organization could reach - and I trust that God will provide for them regardless of what I do.
Yee Hong - My family attends/helps out with a lot of Yee Hong events, since my aunt sits on their fundraising board (or something like that). Should I maintain the family tradition?
Please HELP ME!
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
who do you want to run a half-marathon for?
running the actual half is for my own benefit. the fundraising is just a bonus...
ill be doing the same one for UP! please drag me pass the finish line as ill be approaching it an hour after you!
Post a Comment