Since this year has been the year of change, and thanksgiving was no exception.
Initially, when I received this e-mail

I thought to myself, oh that's too bad, I have never really liked turkey anyway, and continued to joke about the CANCELLATION OF THANKSGIVING with my sister. Retrospectively, I am a little sad that our family didn't have a huge dinner and get-together this year. However, I am thankful for the humble gathering of both friends and family over Bee's baby shower, followed by pseudo- thanksgiving-chinese-take-out-dinner on Thanksgiving Sunday!
Anyway, upon further reflection, I have come up with my top 7 things that I am thankful for this year..
7. Money & Possessions
HA! I know it sounds extremely vain and selfish to start my list of things that I am thankful for with money and possessions, but hear me out. Despite this not being the first year I have been able to share the things God has blessed me with with others, it is the first year that I am doing it with greater passion and enjoyment. Before, giving was almost like a purging and cleansing ritual for me, where I had the opportunity to give all the things I didn't really use or want away. However, I have been blessed with the opportunity to serve/partner with various communities groups, non-profit organizations, churches and friends in their ministries. Jesus taught us to give and love with all our hearts, and to treat others like we would treat Jesus. And all I can say is it is TRULY more a blessing to give than to receive (Acts 20:35)!
6. Home
Although my house is not the most welcoming place due to it's location and coldness, it has been a place where the most significant people in my life gather to share memories. I sometimes like to think that my closest friends are the ones who are willing to drive all the way up here to bunny, deer & tree country to visit me. When I first moved into this house, I really missed my old one, because of all the memories it held, and the various features like hardwood floor that felt more conducive to living, however, I have really come to enjoy this house and all it has to offer (like renovation skills - watch out future husband, I am going to be handiest wife ever!)
5. Job
There is no doubt that I have been incredibly blessed with my jobs, both past and present. I think I may even have a record for how many jobs I have acquired without dressing up or submitting a cover letter/ resume! For those who have heard the story of the way God has graciously given me the job that I currently hold, you know exactly how strong the power of prayer is, and how his provisions never fail us. (If I haven't told you formally, feel free to ask - I love sharing it). But as much as I am thankful for this job, there has been much prayer regarding where God is calling me in my future. So readers stay tuned, because where I will be this September may not be where I expected to go all along - all will be revealed through prayers (:
4. School
I know I constantly complain about how bad York is compared to U of T. And although I still believe that U of T's standards are more respectable, I do know that when I was at U of T, I constantly complained as well. So now I am taking the time to be thankful for the opportunity to even be in school, as well as the time that it has provided me to consider what I should do with my life in the future. Looking back, it is quite ironic to see how God has used York to humble me, and show me that God controls all aspects of my life, but I will continue to be thankful for My Lord's provisions and governance.
3. Friends
There is no doubt that I have an impeccable group of friends. I do understand that sometimes I am a little over the top, but I thank you for baring with me when I need to talk, or even going out on late night food adventures with me. Every one of you has blessed me with your presence, care, encouragement, and support, especially in this past year, when I dealt with what felt like every disappointment under the sun. It was your prayers that helped me refocus on God will for my life.
2. Small Groups.
At the beginning of the year, I prayed for God to have a stronger presence in my life, especially in the area of spiritual support and accountability. I knew that even though I was attending church, and a school fellowship when I "could afford it", I needed to seek out a physical place of comfort that extended beyond my school life. Honestly, It has been a long while since I have earnestly committed to a small group/fellowship, but I am thankful to say that God has blessed me with not one, but TWO small groups where I have received the opportunity to study His Holy word at least once a week through newly forged and strengthened old relationships.
1. Family
I know everyone loves their family very much, and it almost seems like the default answer when we go around talking about all the blessings we have in our lives. But I am truly thankful for my family.
For my parents, who constantly support and encourage me to explore various things in life, while providing me with their stories and life experiences (which usually come in the form of funny stories, which are just great for entertainment as well).
For my sister, brother and nephew, who are understanding of my life situations, as well as the most caring and hospitable people to me. You guys have helped me through so much and I'll miss my "out" when you guys move to Australia but i won't miss you enough to not fight you for house space (since apparently it is up for grabs) when you return.. hehe... <3
Anyway, there it is.
My top 7.
But let's not let the thanksgiving end here, let us continue to be thankful and grateful to God for all the blessings be has bestowed upon us!
2 comments:
how beautiful =)happy thanksgiving! =)
love it! praise the lord he is doing great things in your life!
Post a Comment